Kushner Gaza Mission Hits Israel-Hamas Deadlock
U.S. envoy Jared Kushner returned to the Middle East to push forward President Donald Trump's 15-point Gaza roadmap, but the trip exposed rather than resolved a rift with Israel: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had publicly rejected the plan before Kushner's visit, in what AP described as a rare public show of defiance against the Trump administration. Kushner met Hamas political leader Khalil al-Hayya for more than two hours in Cairo on August 16, alongside mediators from Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, before traveling to Jerusalem the next day for an extended meeting with Netanyahu, according to Reuters. Netanyahu has vowed there will be no Israeli military withdrawal until Hamas is "genuinely" disarmed, according to CBS News. Hamas, which says it has already agreed to the roadmap, wants Israeli forces to first pull back to the so-called "yellow line," a boundary that was never precisely defined. Netanyahu previously said Israeli forces controlled…
U.S. Carrier Shift Opens Pacific Gap
The United States is sending the USS George Washington toward the Middle East to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln, opening a temporary carrier gap in the western Pacific as China tests American attention elsewhere. The Wall Street Journal first reported the rotation, and the Associated Press confirmed that George Washington was in the Strait of Malacca, on course toward the Indian Ocean after visiting Da Nang, Vietnam. The Lincoln has spent more than 240 consecutive days at sea and more than 260 days deployed, an unusually long stretch for a modern carrier, according to AP, after being redirected to the Middle East in January to support the Iran war. The deployment has drawn congressional scrutiny. Sen. Richard Blumenthal wrote to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth citing reports of "shortages of basic supplies, water contamination, plumbing issues, deteriorating mental health, deck safety concerns and disruptions of the mail system," Reuters reported. Hegseth…
Ghana Tells Russia to Stop Recruiting Its Citizens
Ghana has demanded that Russia stop recruiting its citizens to fight against Ukraine, after Accra said 62 Ghanaians had been killed and 15 were missing in the war. Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa raised the issue during talks in Moscow with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on August 17, discussing the "illegal recruitment" of Ghanaians, according to TASS. Lavrov acknowledged Ghanaian citizens had signed contracts with Russia's Defence Ministry, saying some joined out of "solidarity" and others for money, according to the Russian Foreign Ministry. In February, Ablakwa visited Ukraine and sought the release of two Ghanaians held there as prisoners of war after being captured fighting for Russia. AP reported that Ghana had by then documented 272 citizens lured into the war since 2022, with 55 confirmed killed, and pledged to dismantle the dark-web recruitment schemes behind it. One of the captured men, 35-year-old Joshua Nkrumah, had left a…
Trump Threatens Oman as Iran Deadline Expires
The clock that was supposed to end the U.S.-Iran war ran out on August 17, and Washington marked the moment not with a deal but with a threat against one of its oldest Gulf partners. President Donald Trump warned Oman that the United States would "bomb the shit out of them" if Muscat interfered with reopening the Strait of Hormuz, and later told reporters, "No, I don't think they behaved very well, but we'd handle them very easily," according to Reuters. The remark landed as the 60-day window set in June expired without an agreement and tracked commodity traffic through the strait nearly halted. The Deadline Passes Iran and the United States never agreed on what the 60-day clock actually measured. Reuters has reported that the June memorandum declared a full, lasting halt to military operations, an arrangement that unraveled within weeks as fighting resumed around the strait. Tehran has…
Oil Still Flows Around Blocked Hormuz Strait
Gulf states have stopped treating dark shipping as an emergency improvisation and started running it as standard business. What began as a workaround has hardened into a parallel export architecture — one that keeps oil moving through a war zone Iran insists is closed, at a price the region's state oil companies have simply built into their operating costs. State Companies Make the Shadow Playbook Official The tactics themselves aren't new — disabling transponders and transferring cargo ship-to-ship have been Iranian and Russian sanctions-evasion staples for years. What's changed is who's using them. Rigzone reported that Adnoc is now offering to shuttle Iraqi crude through Hormuz on its own "dark-transit playbook," using vessels it partly owns through logistics arm Navig8 rather than leased tankers exposed to outside owners' risk tolerance. Egypt Oil & Gas reported that Adnoc's own logistics unit has directly executed AIS-dark exports of Upper Zakum and Das…
Iran Prepares for Renewed War With US
Iran's leadership remains deeply distrustful of President Donald Trump's intentions and is treating the current lull in fighting less as a path to peace than as a window to prepare for its resumption, according to reporting and officials' own public statements over recent months. Tehran is steering the country toward what officials describe as a "survival economy," the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people close to Iran's leadership and negotiating team. The paper reported that Tehran is rationing scarce goods, restricting access to foreign currency, cutting investment and shifting more of the burden onto households, while preserving strategic imports and the core machinery of the state. Analysts describe this as a calculated trade-off rather than simple economic misfortune. Hadi Khalazadeh, a researcher at the Quincy Institute and former senior Iranian Social Security Organization official, told the Journal that the approach shifts Iran "from a resilient economy that can absorb shocks…

