Situational Report
Moscow Blames Ukraine as Mali Allies Falter
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Georgy Borisenko has accused Ukrainian military personnel of creating a “second front” against Russia in Africa, naming Mali and Libya.Borisenko told TASS that Ukrainians were training Islamist fighters in Mali to use drones and alleged that Ukrainian instructors helped attack the Russian tanker Arktik Metagaz off Libya in March. He presented no publicly verifiable evidence. Kommersant carried the allegations on July 17.Kyiv has not acknowledged deploying personnel to either country. The closest it came was after the July 2024 battle of Tinzaouaten, where Tuareg rebels inflicted Wagner’s heaviest single defeat in Africa. Ukrainian military intelligence spokesperson Andriy Yusov said the rebels had received “necessary information,” but did not confirm direct Ukrainian involvement. Ukraine later denied supplying drones, while the rebels said they had received no foreign assistance.What is confirmed is the deterioration of Russia’s security position in Mali. The Tuareg-led Azawad Liberation Front and al-Qaeda-linked JNIM…
Germany Pushes EU Force to Replace UNIFIL
German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul has proposed an EU-mandated force for southern Lebanon after the UN peacekeeping mission ends, arguing that Europe should prevent a security vacuum along the border with Israel.“We should examine in the EU whether we can ensure that no security vacuum arises with a European mandate following the UNIFIL mission,” Wadephul told RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland in an interview reported by Reuters on July 17.The UN Security Council extended the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon for a final time in August 2025. The mission, deployed since 1978, is scheduled to cease operations on December 31, 2026, before beginning a year-long withdrawal.Wadephul said a European force could create conditions for Israeli troops to withdraw without Hezbollah returning to evacuated areas. The initiative remains a German proposal rather than agreed EU policy and would require support from other member states.The proposal follows the sixth round of U.S.-brokered negotiations between…
Ukraine Claims Tu-95 Destroyed at Engels
Ukraine said on Friday that Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) drones destroyed a Russian Tu-95 strategic bomber at Engels-2 air base in Russia's Saratov region, extending Kyiv's campaign to eliminate aircraft Moscow uses for cruise-missile attacks before takeoff.Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the bomber had been used for strikes on Ukraine. The SBU said the aircraft suffered “critical damage,” with its tail section severed, and released video. The claim has not been independently verified: Saratov Governor Roman Busargin acknowledged a drone attack overnight on July 16 and damage to civilian infrastructure in Engels, but did not confirm an airfield strike.The aircraft cannot be replaced through new production. The Tu-95 has been out of production since the early 1990s; each destroyed airframe reduces the fleet carrying Kh-101 cruise missiles used against Ukrainian cities — including the July 2024 strike on Kyiv’s Okhmatdyt children’s hospital, according to Ukrainian investigators and the UN…
Sudan Rejects Renewed US Chemical Weapons Claim
Sudan's army-aligned government has rejected US allegations that the Sudanese Armed Forces used chemical weapons in the civil war, telling the UN Security Council that Washington has provided no evidence to Khartoum or the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.Chargé d'affaires Ammar Mohamed Mahmoud invoked the 1998 US destruction of Khartoum's Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory and the discredited intelligence presented before the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The state-run Sudan News Agency published his statement on July 16.The United States repeated the accusation at a July 15 Council briefing. Washington determined in 2025 that chemical weapons were used in Sudan in 2024 and imposed sanctions, but has not released the underlying intelligence.At the OPCW Executive Council this month, Sudan presented an internal inquiry finding no evidence, while the US demanded unrestricted inspections.No OPCW investigation has confirmed the allegation. Human Rights Watch said a France 24 investigation produced the first evidence consistent…
China-Russia Drills Held Near South Korea, Japan
China and Russia concluded "Joint Sea-2026" on July 13 at a military port in Qingdao, the twelfth iteration of an annual naval exercise dating back to 2012, running July 6–13 in the Yellow Sea, according to Xinhua.Russia's task group was led by the Slava-class cruiser Varyag, alongside the corvette Rezkiy and the submarine Ufa. China fielded the destroyers Anshan — a Type 055, the PLA Navy's largest and most heavily armed surface combatant — and Kaifeng, along with a Yuan-class submarine. The ten-vessel exercise covered joint reconnaissance, air and missile defense, strikes on surface targets, and submarine rescue, with this year's iteration also featuring extensive use of unmanned systems and counter-drone measures, according to TASS.Following the drill's conclusion, select vessels from both navies departed for joint patrols in the Pacific, according to CGTN.The same week, Taiwan's National Security Council reported tracking a record 110-plus PLA Navy and Coast Guard vessels…
CIA: Ukrainian Drones Outpace Russian Mobilization
CIA Director John Ratcliffe said CIA intelligence estimates Russian recruits arriving at the front in Ukraine survive 20 to 30 minutes, attributing the attrition to Ukrainian AI-guided attack drones.“The average life expectancy of a Russian recruit right now, arriving on the battlefield in Ukraine, is estimated to be between 20 and 30 minutes,” Ratcliffe told the Pennsylvania Defense and Innovation Summit on July 15, calling AI-powered drones “specialized, low-cost killing machines.” He noted Russia held 19% of Ukraine when he took office 18 months ago and holds 20% today.A July analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies assessed the Russia-Ukraine casualty ratio at nearly 8:1 in the first half of 2026 — up from 2:1 or 3:1 for most of the war — with Russian losses of roughly 30,000 a month exceeding recruitment of 27,000. U.S. officials estimate weekly losses near 7,000, Bloomberg reported. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy…

