A Russian missile strike killed at least 10 civilians in the village of Pechenihy in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region on Tuesday, hitting a busy civilian intersection well behind the front line, Ukrainian officials said. Kharkiv Regional Military Administration head Oleh Syniehubov initially reported 10 dead and eight injured. As search-and-rescue operations continued, the number of wounded rose to 17, according to Reuters. The strike hit a cafĂ©, a post office, a shop and nearby residential buildings, damaging at least 10 private houses and seven vehicles, Syniehubov said. Russia did not immediately comment.
Beyond the civilian toll, investigators are closely examining the weapon used in the attack. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemned what he called a deliberate strike on civilians, saying Russia had attacked “an ordinary village, an ordinary street, ordinary people,” and vowed a response. Ukraine’s Prosecutor General’s Office said preliminary evidence indicates Russia launched two S8000 Banderol cruise missiles, a lightweight cruise missile that Ukrainian investigators and defense analysts say entered serial production earlier this year. According to defense analysts, the missile is powered by a small Chinese-made turbojet engine and is designed for relatively inexpensive mass production and low-altitude flight profiles, complementing rather than replacing heavier systems such as the Iskander-M or Kh-101.
Pechenihy sits on the Pechenihy Reservoir roughly 50 to 60 kilometers east-southeast of Kharkiv city, well behind the active contact line near Kupiansk and Vovchansk. Ukrainian prosecutors have opened a war crimes investigation under Article 438 of Ukraine’s Criminal Code, which covers violations of the laws and customs of war. Investigators are examining the apparent absence of military targets at the impact site as part of the inquiry.
The strike underscores how Russia continues to target communities well beyond the active battlefield even as front-line movement in northeastern Ukraine remains limited. While fighting around Kupiansk and Vovchansk has largely settled into a war of attrition, long-range missile and drone attacks continue to expose civilian communities across the Kharkiv region to lethal risk. Rescue operations were still under way on Tuesday evening, and officials warned the death toll could rise further as emergency crews cleared the debris.


