Iran

2 Min Read

Shortage of Missiles Paused US Iran Strikes

President Trump's decision to shelve a planned two-week intensification of strikes on Iran followed a private warning from his own top general. General Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, cautioned Trump, in an account officials gave to the Wall Street Journal, that continued high-tempo strikes would deepen an already severe depletion of interceptor stock, with the war having consumed over 1,500 Patriot interceptors against a US production line that replaces only a few hundred a year, a burn rate no surge in spending can quickly reverse.CENTCOM's Adm. Brad Cooper offered a narrower, separate rationale, not a rebuttal of Caine's warning. Cooper told the Pentagon, in a briefing detailed by Axios, that roughly 80 percent of designated targets around the Strait of Hormuz had already been struck, leaving continued bombing pointless absent a decision to escalate to full-scale combat operations and hit the remaining fifth.The dispute has since…

6 Min Read

Gulf Oil Faces a Two-Strait Trap

The thesis works with two qualifications: the Gulf is not completely sealed because the UAE retains its Fujairah outlet, and American energy companies may benefit while the United States as a whole absorbs higher prices and military costs.The Houthi missile and drone attack claimed against Saudi Aramco facilities in Jizan and Yanbu on July 25 did more than reopen the Saudi-Yemeni front. It placed Saudi Arabia’s principal escape route from the Strait of Hormuz under threat as Iran again restricts the Gulf’s only maritime exit.Reuters verified smoke near the Jizan refinery, although its cause and any damage remain unclear. Greek officials said a Patriot battery intercepted two missiles near Yanbu. The attack did not close Saudi exports. It showed how one regional war has joined two previously separate chokepoint crises.The bypass becomes a targetUnder normal conditions, around 20 million barrels a day of crude and petroleum products – roughly one-fifth…

4 Min Read

U.S. Starts Rationing Air Defenses Against Iranian Strikes

U.S. commanders are deliberately allowing some Iranian missiles and attack drones through their air defenses, accepting damage to military installations rather than expend interceptors that are growing harder to replace, according to NBC News.Two senior U.S. officials told NBC News that commanders have been choosing which incoming weapons to intercept since the early days of the Iran war. They may withhold defensive missiles when a projectile is assessed as unlikely to hit American forces, significantly damage critical U.S. facilities or threaten regional allies. The result is a tiered defense: personnel and critical infrastructure are protected first, while secondary facilities may be allowed to absorb some damage.The officials said some Iranian weapons have consequently struck parts of U.S. bases where personnel were not present. They were not aware of any American troops or civilians being harmed by projectiles commanders deliberately chose not to intercept.Selective engagement is a normal part of missile…

2 Min Read

Iran Warns Ukraine After Caspian Strike

Iran's Foreign Ministry warned Ukraine of unspecified consequences after accusing Kyiv of attacking an Iranian commercial vessel in the Caspian Sea on July 25, killing one sailor and injuring another, according to Reuters and the ministry's statement, carried in full by Tasnim.The ministry called the attack a violation of Article 2(4) of the UN Charter and an "act of aggression" that could further inflame and spread the war. Iran said it would defend its national interests under the principle of legitimate self-defence, adding that responsibility for the consequences "will rest with that regime and its supporters and instigators."The statement was deliberately broad but stopped short of threatening a ballistic-missile strike or announcing retaliation.Ukraine has not publicly identified the Iranian vessel. President Volodymyr Zelensky said earlier that Ukrainian forces struck a Russian warship and vessels transporting Iran-linked military cargo in the Caspian. Tehran treated that statement as an explicit acknowledgment. The…

1 Min Read

US Pauses Iran Strikes After Two-Week Bombing

US Central Command reported no new strikes on Iran as of Saturday morning. The National noted the halt followed 13 consecutive nights of announced attacks on Iranian military targets. The campaign had run without a break since a prior ceasefire collapsed earlier in the month.Trump framed the pause as tied to progress at the negotiating table rather than a stand-down. According to CNN, he told reporters that the US and Iran remain in talks and that he believes Tehran is "getting more serious," adding that he met with top advisers and Cabinet officials Friday to weigh further escalation if talks fail. No timeline was given for when strikes might resume.Fighting continued on fronts beyond Iran itself even as the nightly bombing stopped. Per Britannica, drones targeted a northern Iraqi city hosting US forces, Saudi Arabia struck Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels after the group attacked a Saudi vessel in the Red…

2 Min Read

Iran War Enters 13th Night as Talks Continue

The United States and Iran remain locked in overlapping tracks of warfare and negotiation, with President Trump calling talks the "most serious" yet even as US strikes against Iran continued for a 13th consecutive night. "I think they are by far the most serious that we've seen," Trump told reporters Friday, adding, "But that doesn't mean we get there," according to Reuters.Trump has used similar language in past rounds of negotiation that ultimately collapsed, including a March characterization of "major points of agreement" that did not produce a deal, according to Reuters.US Central Command's overnight strikes targeted military command centers, drone facilities, communications networks, and maritime capabilities, according to CNN. The US military also disabled a tanker attempting to bypass its blockade of Iranian ports.Iran claimed to have struck a US-operated base in Kuwait on July 24, though neither US nor Kuwaiti officials have confirmed the claim, according to RFE/RL.…